Saturday 29 October 2011

Autumn Lunches

Straight off the bat, lets apologise for the photo taken on my phone. My camera wasn't playing ball this morning.  Anyway, inspired by this post, I knocked up this lunch today.

I had made the soup earlier in the week, and it really is incredibly simple. First, I chopped up 2 red peppers, and halved about 16 tomatoes and chucked them in a roasting dish. Add a bit of garlic, a generous helping of sea salt and pepper as well as a coating of olive oil, give it a quick shake and you're good to go. I was in the house for the morning so I popped it in the oven on a low heat (around about gas mark 4) for 3 hours as I was doing chores but I've done it before in a hotter oven for less time - just keep an eye on it and shake it around every now and again to prevent it burning.

I wish I'd taken a photo then because the results smelt and looked incredible - I'll definitely be oven roasting more tomatoes and sticking them in Kilner jars as gifts nearer Christmas. I could've eaten the vegetables there and then, but for the purposes of the soup, it's as simple as sticking it in a blender with about a pint and a half of vegetable stock before blitzing. It's delicious enough to eat as is, but if you prefer your soup a bit creamier, I find it works well with the tang of creme fraiche.

The toastie was a combination of blog inspiration and coming across my toastie maker when having a clean up. After buttering the outside of the bread, I layered up a finely slice Braeburn apple and brie inside and let the toastie maker work it's magic. I love the combination of flavours - apple and cheese was always part of my supper as a child - but wish the apple had retained it's crunch. I'm thinking it might be best to toast the bread and cheese under a grill {as if you were making cheese on toast} and adding in the apple at the end as you sandwich the two halves together. I think I'd definitely keep this in mind next time as I think the crunch of the apple would've worked brilliantly.

Regardless, this lunch was delicious. It's far more than the sum of its parts and so simple to boot {noticing a pattern?}.  It struck me as the perfect Autumn lunch, I have to say.


Love B x

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird