Sunday 11 September 2011

Sunday Brunch


I love pancakes. Crepes, dropped scones, thick, thin...whatever variety, I could eat them for quite a large percentage of meals {this was lethal when Edinburgh festival was in town and there were various crepe stands dotted around just calling my name}.  They do, however, require more effort than is ideal in a laid back Sunday brunch for two.  This is why these are perfect, and genius. So obvious is the idea that I am kicking myself for needing Nigella to point it out to me in her 'Nigella Express' book rather than coming to the conclusion myself.

Make the dry mixture ahead of time and store it in a sealed container. Simples. Literally, hit-yourself-in-the-forehead kind of simple. No worries, once I knew of it, an IKEA kilner jar full of the stuff can always be found on a shelf in my kitchen. My waistline is less appreciative of the ease with which I can make pancakes but never mind.

All you need is 600g flour {I used up all the odds and ends of bags I had in various cupboards}, 3 tablespoons of baking powder, 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda, a teaspoon of salt and 40g sugar {I used vanilla sugar that I'd gotten super cheap from Lidl}. Mix it all together and store in a medium/large jar.

To make up the pancakes {around 10-15 depending on how big you like them!} add 1 egg, 250ml milk and 1 tablespoon of melted butter to 150g of the pre-made mixture. I keep these details written on a piece of pretty paper stuck to the jar so I don't have to root around in a cookery book for quantities; it just makes this even more simple. Add a tablespoon of batter to a pan over a medium heat {the medium is important - I'm often way too impatient, whack the heat up and end up with pancakes that are burnt on the outside and undercooked inside. And hungry} and flip when bubbles appear on top. They should be golden on the outside.

I personally like mine with 0% fat Greek yoghurt, blueberries and syrup. YUM.

Does anyone have any other favourite brunch recipes? I'd love to hear them, especially easy ones! I hope you've had a nice weekend! I can't believe it's already Monday tomorrow...

Love B x

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird