Thursday 17 March 2011

Much ado about muffins


I had an urge to bake today.  A craving.  It's not always about eating or physically craving the finished product - though that tends to happen too, I can't lie.  Instead it's about the actual process of baking. I'm not going to go all prattish and blabber on about creating something but I do find it really therapeutic to focus on the process.  And heck, it's fun too.

I roughly followed a recipe I stumbled across online but I had only about half the amount of blueberries it recommended.  They're still tasty despite all this but next time I'd probably follow through and buy more ingredients instead of needing to act on my baking cravings there and then {patience is a virtue and all...}.  I also wouldn't be afraid of adding a smidge more sugar: a couple of mine were a bit sharp though that could have just been a tart blueberry! Anyways, the original recipe is here but in case you don't want to click away:

280g self raising flour
70g sugar
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
175ml milk
4tbsps melted butter
2tsp baking powder
300g blueberries {I had about half of this amount at best!}

Before you start, rinse off your blueberries and lightly flour them before leaving them to one side to dry.  Also, preheat your oven to 210C/gas mark 7. Sieve together all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and mix with the other liquid ingredients.  Mix in the liquid ingredients to the dry, being careful not to over stir {you don't want tough muffins!}. I think I mixed the ingredients maybe 15 times max.  Dust off any excess flour from the blueberries and stir into the other ingredients.  Again, fold in the blueberries carefully to avoid over mixing the ingredients. Fill muffin cases 3/4 full with mixture {I sprinkled a bit of sugar on top too - brown sugar is probably best} and bake until golden brown {about 15-20minutes}. Allow to cool/eat because you're too impatient to wait.


Delicious.

B
x

No comments:

Post a Comment



blogger template by lovebird